7 Ways Pomegranate Protects Against Cancer
Pomegranates are best known for their ability to improve arterial health.
Lately it has been demonstrated that it has cancer prevention properties as well, especially for prostate, breast and colon cancers. Cancer can also be one of the last stages of the chronic inflammatory response. Read more about the 4 Stages of Inflammation HERE.
There are seven ways Pomegranate attacks cancer cells:
- Prevents DNA damage. Pomegranate extracts, including punicalagin and ellagic acid, helps to prevents damage to DNA from toxins, UV rays and oxidative stress.
- Prevents aberrant replication of cells: Cancerous cells multiply without limits due to changes in gene regulation. Pomegranate help maintain healthy gene regulation.
- Anti-Inflammatory effects: Pomegranate extracts and polyphenols shut down or suppress production of certain inflammatory signals that can damage tissues.
- Helps cancer cells to stop multiplying and/or destroy themselves (apoptosis). Normal cells receive many signals to stop multiplying or to take themselves out of the picture. Cancer cells lost these feature.Pomegranate can restore this function, thereby inducing cancerous cells to destroy themselves, when taken early enough.
- Inhibits formation of new blood vessels. Tumor cells need to form new blood vessels to nourish themselves and grow. Pomegranate extracts may inhibit the formation of these extra new blood vessels.
- Helps prevent cancer cells from spreading (metastasis). Cancer cells produce "protein-melting" enzymes that allows them to squeeze in between healthy cells and progress locally and spread to other places inside the body. Pomegranate extract helps suppress these signaling molecules, thereby helping to prevent cancer cells from spreading.
- Slows down growth of many hormone-dependent cancers.
It is well known, that a diet rich in vegetables and fruits and high in polyphenols can reduce your risk of cancer. Pomegranate extract may just be another delicious way to do that!